Monday, April 14, 2014

The Button


Dear Ellie,

There is a button on your body that makes you cry.  Where exactly is that secret button?  That button is everywhere on your body!  No matter where we touch you, it makes you cry.  And not just a fussy cry.  A gyrating, thrashing, bellowing cry.  The kind of crying that requires quite a bit of huffing and puffing beforehand in order to muster enough air.  Because your vocal cords are still a bit stunted, you sound like a neighing horse or a rapid fire machine gun.  "W-a-a-a---a-a-a-a---a-a-a-a---a-a-a-a."

Strangely, you sleep fairly well and when you get hungry, you fuss politely as if to say, "Ehhhhm, excuse me, isn't there a meal coming soon?"

But when someone presses the button?  Or if we stroke the belly?  Oh man, that's when the pandemonium begins.  I remember in the days after you were born I could see you trying to cry, but failing.  It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.  I watched and imagined what your voice would sound like.  Wondered if I'd ever get to hear it.  For that reason, hearing you shriek now doesn't bother me one bit.  It makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie,
    That secret button wasn't pressed yesterday while I visited you. Your mommy skillfully nursed you and you performed like a professional breastfeeder! You seemed to like to grab with your hand so I was pleased that you grasped my fingers.What impressed me the most was that you weren't content to just go back to sleep after your feeding, instead you tried to keep your eyes open perhaps just to check out the grandma-type lady who was gazing so affectionately at your sweet face.

    Love you!

    Grandma Smith

    ReplyDelete