Monday, March 31, 2014

Low Hanging Fruit

Dear Ellie,

I think the low hanging fruit has been plucked when it comes to your lung progress.  We're back to the long slog.  No more giant leaps.  Your mother and I were a little depressed when you backslid over the weekend, but you seem to accept sleeping on your back now so I suppose it was worth it.  You are beginning to regain your ground, one or two points at a time.  The good news is that its unlikely you'll face as many "catastrophic setbacks" due to infection now that you are bigger and the endotracheal tube is out.  I'm fine with a long journey from here on out, so long as it is a pleasant one.        

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping on her back is a big deal. I think that's enough to set her back some. I am a stomach sleeper and I can NOT ever fall completely asleep on my back. If my adult body refuses to do so, I can't imagine what it's like for a little Ellie who's homeostasis still shifts when she is very uncomfortable. That's a big step and it makes sense she'd have to pay for it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's seems pretty happy with it, now. I'm surprised how fast it took. Let's hope it sticks. Apparently, once she can flip herself over, she'll just end up on her belly all the time anyway. With all of the exercise she's been doing since birth, that might not be such a long time from now.

      Delete