Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Your First Bad Day?

Dear Ellie,

Things happened over night.  They tried to insert the PICC line, but your veins are just too small.  Right now, the bionic umbilical cord is delivering the nutrients that you need, but that can't stay in for much longer.  The bionic umbilical cord basically has two lines, one of which has clotted.  That means you are flying on just one engine.  This is what the PICC line is meant to replace.  I'm not sure what they'll do if they can't find a way to get it in.  Perhaps they have riskier, more invasive ways to get you what you need.  I don't know.

I came in this morning once the NICU opened to visitors to find that you were receiving a blood transfusion.  I was told micro-preemies are often anemic but... anemia always has some kind of causal source.  I'm not sure what that is.  The NICU is frustrating in this way.  Even for someone like me who is knowledgeable about biology and fine details, the sheer volume of information involved here is staggering.

Anyway, your blood sugar fell rapidly because the line that was delivering the blood transfusion was also delivering other vital substances and, of course, a single train track can only carry one train at a time.

You had a brain sonogram earlier this morning, but I haven't talked to the Neonatologist yet.  I get nervous when news isn't given freely.  Back during our in-vitro fertilization cycles, when there was good news, the nurses had loose tongues.  When there was bad news, we would be told to wait for the doctor to address us which, of course, had the tenor of  "being sent to the principal's office."

I had a lot of things I wanted to say to you this morning, but my brain is frazzled.  Nerves can garble one's thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment