Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Eleanor, Meet Your Big Sister


Dear Elllie,

Well, it looks like you have a big sister looking out for you.  Her name is Leah, and when she heard about your story in the NICU about a week ago, she recreated you using a baby doll, a toy stethoscope, and... a Scuba diving regulator?  That's ingenuity, right there.  Anyway, she's been taking close care of you since then.

It's curious to see her watching over you in this way: a young girl giving generously her concern to another little girl that she's never met before.  It's a beautiful thing, and its a story I will tell you well before you read any of Dad's boring letters.

Oh, and did I mention she likes the name Eleanor better than Ellie?  I think I do, too.

1 comment:

  1. Future NICU nurse right there! One of our nurses was really young and I asked how she knew she wanted to be a NICU nurse. She said ever since she was a little girl. She would build cardboard isolettes and play nurse with her dolls. I wish I had that much clarity so early on!

    ReplyDelete