Sunday, February 16, 2014

Always Remember to Forget How Old You Are

Dear Ellie,

At the time of writing this letter, I’m 30 years old.  Before I wrote that last sentence, I had to check my driver’s license to be sure.  Someday, I hope somebody asks you how old you are and you forget how to answer.  Not because you are concealing your age in vanity, but because you simply can’t remember.  That way, when someone expects you to act your age, young or old, you won’t know how.  It’s tragic how so many people lose years of their lives wishing that their age was different.  Children and adolescents wish to be older and those who are now old bitterly miss their youth.  But if remembering your age doesn't come easily to you, you won’t be tethered to your age.  You won’t ever count the days until you are older or wish that you were younger.  All years of your life will be full.

No comments:

Post a Comment